Chapter 4 Challenge
by Jon (Updated on 2015-10-26)
Chapter 4 Recap
Chapter 4 focused on Scenes. You learned about...
- The basics of Scenes
- How the camera works and how to control it
- Importing and using Tilesets
- What Regions are and how to use them
- Drawing text and HUDs
- Changing Scenes
- Playing and controlling music, sounds, and sound channels
- Adding and using Backgrounds
- How to customize individual Actors
With all that under your belt, it’s time to take on the Challenge for Chapter 4.
Challenge: Create a “Mini-Dungeon” Action Adventure Game
Dungeons are the heart of an adventure game such as Zelda. Dungeons blend both action and puzzle solving.
Design your own mini-dungeon game that includes the following elements:
- Has an intro room with nothing except an entrance to the 1st main room
- At least 3 main rooms
- A final room that simply says "You Win!"
- Every main room has a locked door that prevents you from proceeding until you've satisfied the game's conditions.
- 1 room should involve stepping on a switch to open up the door
- 1 room should involve killing all enemies to open up the door
- 1 room should involve activating two switches. Both must be active to open the door.
- All of the main rooms should contain enemies.
- Background music should constantly play without restarting between rooms.
Here's a Head Start
To make this easy on you, we're providing a scaffold game to work from. That way you can focus on building your dungeon. This scaffold game contains the following:
|A hero who can walk around and shoot energy blasts (use the Z key)|
|Sounds, including sound effects and background music|
|A basic enemy Actor who can walk around randomly|
|A dungeon tileset|
Have fun with this challenge and make it your own. Good luck!
Start with this Project
To help you get started, we’ve created scaffold project, so you don't have to worry about importing any resources at the outset.
Instructions: Import this using File > Import. Requires Stencyl 3.4.0 or later.
Stuck? Want some hints?
Hint #1 - Use a Behavior to count the number of enemies in the Scene where the player must kill all of them to progress.
- Hint #2 - Remember you can use Behaviors to destroy the door actor to open the path forward.