by Jon (Updated on 2014-01-26)
- What are Effects?
- Effects & Performance
What are Effects?
Effects let you add visual flair to actors, without having to add new animations or additional code to the game. All effect-related blocks are located under Actor > Effects.
The following demo demonstrates all of the available effects in Stencyl.
Effects and Performance
Don’t continually re-apply effects every frame of the game.
This will drain performance because the backing “bitmap” for the Actor’s animation will continually be re-generated per-frame.
Effects in themselves are not performance impacting. It’s the application of effects that takes relatively long.
- Effects persist, even when an Actor’s animation changes.
- Only 1 effect may be applied at a time to a particular actor.
- Some effects may work only in Flash. These effects are denoted with a red, Flash icon.
- Use effects to add visual flair, without importing new animations.
- Use effects responsibly to maintain good performance.