by Jon (Updated on 2015-10-13)
This article covers solutions to showstopping issues such as:
- I can't launch Stencyl.
- I can't sign in to the site or forums.
- I forgot my password or username.
- My game no longer opens.
- My games all disappeared (they haven't)
- Stencyl keeps telling me that it "can't connect"
I can't launch Stencyl.
Stencyl may not launch for the following reasons:
- Java 8 is not installed. (If on a Mac)
- On Windows, you did not run Stencyl as an administrator.
- You installed Stencyl to an unwritable location.
Let us know on the forums if you still can't launch the app after trying the solutions above.
I can't sign in to the site or forums.
- Ensure that you are visiting http://www.stencyl.com, not http://stencyl.com
- Are cookies enabled?
- Use a modern browser such as Chrome or Firefox
- Ensure that Caps Lock is not on. (It happens!)
- If all else fails, reset your password and try again.
If nothing above works for you, contact us.
I forgot my password or username.
If you do not receive an e-mail and you checked your spam box, contact us.
My game no longer opens. Help!
My games all disappeared.
Stencyl stores games in what we dub as the workspace - this is a folder, usually under your "home" or "user data" portion of your computer.
If your games disappeared, chances are that the workspace changed or got reset to the default. To be clear, no data has been lost, and it's a matter of resetting your workspace back to where it previously was.
It's best to ask for help on the forums when this happens if you aren't sure about what to do.
Stencyl keeps telling me that it "can't connect"
Use the exact same login details as you'd use to sign in to Stencyl.com.
- Check your firewall to see if Stencyl or Java are blocked.
- Try using HotspotShield.
- Is Caps Lock on? (it happens...)
- Are you entering in your e-mail address? Use your username instead.
Let us know on the forums if you still can't sign in.