by Jon (Updated on 2015-10-13)
This article covers solutions to showstopping issues such as:
- I can't launch Stencyl.
- I can't sign in to the site or forums.
- I forgot my password or username.
- My game no longer opens.
- My games all disappeared (they haven't)
- Stencyl keeps telling me that it "can't connect"
I can't launch Stencyl.
Stencyl may not launch for the following reasons:
- Java 8 is not installed. (If on a Mac)
- On Windows, you did not run Stencyl as an administrator.
- You installed Stencyl to an unwritable location.
Let us know on the forums if you still can't launch the app after trying the solutions above.
I can't sign in to the site or forums.
- Ensure that you are visiting http://www.stencyl.com, not http://stencyl.com
- Are cookies enabled?
- Use a modern browser such as Chrome or Firefox
- Ensure that Caps Lock is not on. (It happens!)
- If all else fails, reset your password and try again.
If nothing above works for you, contact us.
I forgot my password or username.
If you do not receive an e-mail and you checked your spam box, contact us.
My game no longer opens. Help!
My games all disappeared.
Stencyl stores games in what we dub as the workspace - this is a folder, usually under your "home" or "user data" portion of your computer.
If your games disappeared, chances are that the workspace changed or got reset to the default. To be clear, no data has been lost, and it's a matter of resetting your workspace back to where it previously was.
It's best to ask for help on the forums when this happens if you aren't sure about what to do.
Stencyl keeps telling me that it "can't connect"
Use the exact same login details as you'd use to sign in to Stencyl.com.
- Check your firewall to see if Stencyl or Java are blocked.
- Try using HotspotShield.
- Is Caps Lock on? (it happens...)
- Are you entering in your e-mail address? Use your username instead.
Let us know on the forums if you still can't sign in.
Don't see your issue here?
Check out this topic on the forumsPrint Article Edit Article How to Edit an Article
Make sure you are visiting http://www.stencyl.com when you sign in, not http://stencyl.com.
I can't comment on the forums as I'm having the same problem as yadah - I keep getting logged out. any ideas?
This page seems to be working however if I click the Forums link it signs my account out and when I sign back in it sends me to the home page.
When i play my game it keep on laggin
It's been a long time, so let me try somewhere else. I brought this up on the forums and no help came, and I thought this article could help me. See my username? It has an hyphen in it(AKA, a "-"). Apparently in one of the updates in the last year Stencyl started validating the username when you try to log in. Problem? It won't let me log in. Because of that special character.
So... what do I do? Besides creating a new user again?
Thanks, I've updated the article to reflect that.
"My games all disappeared" question when upgrading to Stencyl 2.0, the answer is NOT as simple as "If you know where your games were before, it's as simple as copying them to this folder". If you point Stencyl to the old location or manually copy the older files to the newer location it copies other system files which result in errors when you attempt to run the game. Fix is to create another user folder directory and then point Stencyl to this directory and click yes to copying your old games across.